How Do I Get A Serial For 5.0

General Discussion about ChrisTV PVR Software
webtech
https://ask.fm/kuchniewarszawa

Post by webtech »

Hi

I paid in the past for 4. xxx and the upgrade to 5.xxxx where can i get the new activation code?

Regards
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

All registered users entitled to receive the 5.00 version will receive the registration information in the next days.

Please note that only customers that have bought ChrisTV PVR version 4.99 or "Upgrade to ChrisTV PVR 5.xx Version" are entitled to receive for FREE the upgrade to ChrisTV PVR 5.xx versions.

Thank you for your understanding.
paulheu

Post by paulheu »

Assuming that people who bought 4.99 after a certain date are entitled to a free update could you tell us after which date that would be?

tnx, Paul
First Light

Post by First Light »

Hi Chris,

Thanks for making a nice product. I have similar questions as webtech (I purchased 4.95 Pro with the 5.00 upgrade option).

I received an email yesterday from ChrisTV informing me that the new release is now available and I've downloaded it. But the email message was unclear about the details. Here are the problems:

1 - The message provided no installation instructions. Do I uninstall 4.95 Pro first or do I install 5.00 Pro over it? I searched your website and forums and could not find the answer. At the very least, the installation instructions for both new users and upgrading customers should be clearly posted with the downloads.

2 - Do I use the same registration code that I received for 4.95 Pro? The email message provided a link to "retrieve your registration information to update/upgrade or re-install your ChrisTV PVR ...". This doesn't say whether or not I need a new registration code for 5.00.

You'll make less work for yourself and you'll have happier customers if you communicate better. I'm looking forward to the answers.

Thanks.
paulheu

Post by paulheu »

The message I got contained a link to retrieve registration info, that resulted in a second email with all the needed info..

painless upgrade..
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

You should uninstall ChrisTV 4.xx version before installing ChrisTV PVR 5.00.
Please make sure that ChrisTV Agent is closed before uninstalling version 4.xx.

In order to maintain the scheduler and channels settings from previous version you need to backup the channels.ini and scheduler.ini files from ChrisTV 4.xx folder and copy them to ChrisTV PVR 5.00 folder.

Use the provided link, choose the product and version and enter your email address. The registration information will be sent to you.
First Light

Post by First Light »

Thanks Chris,

I also received an email with the information. Here are a couple of additional points:

1 - While you do not need to remove an earlier version of ChrisTV PVR prior to the 5.00 installation, it will not remove the older version. You'll have both the old and the new version and both will still work. If you're like me you probably don't want this so you'll want to remove the old version first. Just remember to copy the channels.ini and scheduler.ini files to a temporary folder first so you can add them to your 5.00 installation. That way you won't have to reconfigure them.

2 - I experienced audio problems with the new version. My computer has an ATI TVT2-DT TV Wonder Elite card (via Dell) and a high-end dual-core PC w/ 4 GB of RAM running Windows XP MCE. After the 5.00 installation there was no sound. Version 4.95 still worked fine. I checked all the 5.00 settings and everything was correct. I had to toggle the mute control off and on in the "Image & Sound Settings" to get any audio. After I did, it was way low. I checked all audio settings and could not find the source of the problem. (I'm a software developer and an audio professional so I understand the audio flow pretty well). I also noticed that the lipsync of the preview function was not any better than 4.95 so I tried the hardware MPEG mode to see if the picture was any better with 5.00. Suddenly the audio went out again. I had to toggle the mute setting off/on again to restore sound. The hardware MPEG picture was not any better compared to 4.95 (I didn't expect much improvement since its quality should be a function of the hardware processor in my Wonder Elite card). So I switched back to preview mode and the audio was louder this time. It still isn't as loud as it should be (it is 9-12 dB quieter than version 4.95) but at least it is now usable.

I hope these comments are helpful for others making the move to 5.00. Here's a summary of the answers:

1 - No, you don't have to remove the older version before you upgrade but the new version doesn't replace the old one so you'll be left with two versions on your computer.

2 - You do have to get a new registration code and ChrisTV will provide the necessary login and password information so you can do this.

3 - As with any upgrade, be prepared for the unexpected. My audio problem is one example.

Best regards, First Light
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

@jphill11,
Please check PM.

@First Light,
Thank you for your comments.

Regarding your sound problem, please check the new sound settings window : Program Settings->Image&Sound->"More Settings..." button.
Ghost75

Post by Ghost75 »

Hi Chris

i have a Problem with the Key to Version 5.05.
The Software say the Key is not Valid.

Best Regards

Ghost75

Edit: @Chris:
Thanks for Sending the New Key.
Now it works Fine. :D