Small instability issue in Videotube Downloader v9.2.22

General Discussion about ChrisPC VideoTube Downloader Pro
Download videos from 30.000+ websites with Link Finder
Danv
Advanced Member
https://ask.fm/kuchniewarszawa

Small instability issue in Videotube Downloader v9.2.22

Post by Danv »

When I do this on Win XP Pro 32b, the program crashes with "Runtime error 3 at 00702D51":
  • Download a few videos from Youtube
  • For each video, click on the tiny ':' at the right and delete the video
  • When all videos have been deleted, quickly click on their big '-' buttons to remove the videos from the download list (the crash occurs when I'm doing this).
ps: the program says v9.2.22 but in the file properties it is version 9.0.60.400.
Danv
Advanced Member

Re: Small instability issue in Videotube Downloader v9.2.22

Post by Danv »

Well, for now I have moved back to v8.65. The new release just kept crashing whenever I pressed a few '-' buttons to remove videos from the list.
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

Do you have the issues with version 8.70 ?
Danv
Advanced Member

Post by Danv »

Chris wrote:Do you have the issues with version 8.70 ?
I'll give it a try and let you know!
Danv
Advanced Member

Post by Danv »

So far so good with v8.70.. no crashes (even when I try) !
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

Have you tried version 9.2.26 ?
Can you reproduce the issue with same steps or it is random?
Danv
Advanced Member

Post by Danv »

Chris wrote:Have you tried version 9.2.26 ?
Can you reproduce the issue with same steps or it is random?
Hi Chris, I have just tried v9.2.26.

It started out well - I downloaded 10 Youtube videos, then quickly and randomly pressed some of their big '-' buttons to remove them from the list, and all went well. I added a few new videos to the list, and while they were downloading I started quickly removing some videos again, and nothing bad happened -- I could not get it to crash.

So, thinking that the problem had been solved, I decided to use the program in earnest. I downloaded 44 videos. I scrolled to the bottom of the list (my window is only big enough to show 13 videos at a time). One by one, I played the last 10 videos. They were not very good, so, I deleted them one by one using their little ':' menus. So far so good. Then I wanted to remove them from the list, so I pressed the '-' button of the last video in the list. And *poof*, the program crashed just like in my first message.

I cannot reproduce it using fixed steps - sometimes it happens, other times not. My feeling is that it is a timing problem. If have a large download folder (it has over 5,000 subfolders), so, maybe there is a small delay somewhere that interferes with the updating of the download list, thus creating an unexpected situation.
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

There were no changes made to the delete functions since version 8.50, so it's probably a system issue.

Maybe you could think upgrading at least to Windows 7 :)
Danv
Advanced Member

Post by Danv »

Chris wrote:There were no changes made to the delete functions since version 8.50, so it's probably a system issue.

Maybe you could think upgrading at least to Windows 7 :)
Hehe, yeah I should.. It's just that this PC refuses to die, and when I change O/S it takes me weeks to get everything tuned and tweaked the way that I like it. But it's OK, I'll keep using v8.70 for now.

I think the problem is in the code that manages the download list. I've had some similar problems in the past, but those went away when you did something to enhance the stability for longer sessions. If each video in the list is a thread, maybe my system kills deleted threads too slowly and something goes wrong in the numbering of the list.
Danv
Advanced Member

Post by Danv »

I'm happy to report that this has been solved in v9.4.25 and later versions!

The program seems rock solid. It's been running here for 6 days now, with 500+ downloads, and not a single hickup. Thanks!