Video skipping from BBC iPlayer

General Discussion about ChrisPC VideoTube Downloader Pro
Download videos from 30.000+ websites with Link Finder
martyboy26
https://ask.fm/kuchniewarszawa

Video skipping from BBC iPlayer

Post by martyboy26 »

Been using the product for a few years without problems. Just recently, every video I download from BBC stops randomly and then just continues on with some recorded sections missing. Any ideas?
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Re: Video skipping from BBC iPlayer

Post by Chris »

Do you use a VPN to access the website?
This could be related to your connection speed.
Coppernob

Post by Coppernob »

I am having a lot of the same problem with both BBC and ITV recordings. The Mp4s are correct length (i.e. a 58minute program is a 58 milnute file) but there are many droputs in the playback. My smart DNS is good and download speed is excellent. In order to debug this I have a few questions.

My first debug question is if the issue is the source download or the conversion to mp4.
Is there anyway to keep the source download, view it, and compare it to the converted mp4?

Once I do this i can see where the source of the problem lies, maybe I am running too many concurrent downloads and i should just download in series instead of parallel.
Coppernob

Post by Coppernob »

I’ve tried turning off the parallel downloads and encoding in case it was bandwidth but still have issues. Is there a way to intercept the source files and use a different encoder? Probably not as I think the encoder strips the drm
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

Coppernob wrote:I’ve tried turning off the parallel downloads and encoding in case it was bandwidth but still have issues. Is there a way to intercept the source files and use a different encoder? Probably not as I think the encoder strips the drm
You can tweak some software settings in case your connection speed is slow. Please contact support with your order number and link to this post.
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

In version 12.01.24 you can tweak some download settings.

If your connection is through a VPN or DNS, you can adjust how many parts can be downloaded at same time, so there won't be any skipping issues. By default is it set to 6 parts downloaded at same time.

Go to Settings->Advanced Settings and lower the M3U8 and MPD download threads to 1-2 parts at a time.
ak65

Post by ak65 »

ITV hub works like a charm but I have been unable to download anything from BBC Iplayer for the last couple of weeks. No matter what I do I keep getting the same message i.e. you may need to use a UK VPN or proxy (which I am already doing).
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

Change to another VPN. You can try a service like:

Code: Select all

https://getflix.com/
ak65

Post by ak65 »

Tried various methods but the problem appears to be that I can only download from my my own IP address?
gandalf

Post by gandalf »

I also get this problem - but ONLY with iPlayer downloads.
Yes, I use a VPN but it performs solidly and works with ITV, C4, UKTV etc - ONLY iPlayer has the dropout problem.
I also use several Canadian providers and have no issue there - some I must use Expert mode and it works well.
iPlayer does not demand expert mode - but it used to work fine. The behaviour is as if the raw TS-style packet streams keep having dropouts - but TS should be immune to that if the decode process works. Watching the download shows many periods where download stops and then restarts - again should not be a problem but the downloader does not seem to recover cleanly. A show I downloaded yesterday kept having video stalls and then recovered with audio and video out of sync - again something that should not happen if the stream clocks are working properly.
FYI - using Win 11 on the computer.
Also I tried using Getiplayer, which was my old download option, and it works fine - so the issue is not with iPlayer, nor is it with my network. It is clearly a problem within the ChrisPC downloader.