General Discussion about ChrisPC VideoTube Downloader Pro
Download videos from 30.000+ websites with Link Finder
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team
https://ask.fm/kuchniewarszawa

Re: Video skipping from BBC iPlayer

Post by Chris »

Player does not demand expert mode - but it used to work fine
Have you set in Settings->Advanced Settings and lower the M3U8 download threads to 1-2 parts at a time ?

If you still have issues just use Link Finder Chrome mode and get the MPD from there.
gandalf

Post by gandalf »

Have you set in Settings->Advanced Settings and lower the M3U8 download threads to 1-2 parts at a time ?
Tried that. Seemed to work but a video downloaded today exhibited the freeze problem again. Seems to be related to time of day - perhaps how busy the servers are. If I drop a few jobs in for an overnight run they often work with no issues. I have not yet tried using the Chrome emulator mode with iPlayer - largely because simply copying the URL works so well - most times. The issue is with the actual download process not with how the video file is located - so I am not understanding why the setup process makes a difference. With several sites in Canada, Chrome mode is the only way to find the video. Some sites even need expert mode - so I get it that the setup is different for each site. However iPlayer works with simple URL copy. The downloader is happily ticking away downloading a series of parts but sometime it seems that the parts downloaded do not join up properly - suggesting perhaps that download of one or more parts failed. Why the downloader does not detect that and repeat the download is unclear. When I watch GetiPlayer doing the same job there are times that it stalls - again suggesting a server load issue. Mostly it recovers but occasionally it crashes a download and I need to repeat it. I never get corrupted files from GetiPlayer. This seems to be a problem internal to iPlayer. Yes, I am using a VPN product but the network components are way fast enough and totally stable. Neither GetiPlayer nor your downloader run anywhere near the link capacity. I have sufficient bandwidth to watch real-time TV - so downloading offline parts should work fine. But it doesn't all the time.
How can we find out what is going wrong? It takes a time to find a file with an error. I have one I just watched and can send it to you for forensic analysis if you want. I can show you exactly where the problem happens. The question really is why the downloader process does not detect the mismatch and fix it on the fly.
gandalf

Post by gandalf »

gandalf wrote: 09 Jan 2023, 21:51
... suggesting perhaps that download of one or more parts failed. Why the downloader does not detect that and repeat the download is unclear.
Is this something you are looking into? Would it help you to see a download with one or more missing parts? This is the problem that many are observing. Yes - the cause is likely internal to the iPlayer servers BUT your downloader should be able to detect that two parts are not contiguous and re-request the missing bit.
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

gandalf wrote: 19 Jan 2023, 01:44
... suggesting perhaps that download of one or more parts failed. Why the downloader does not detect that and repeat the download is unclear.
Is this something you are looking into? Would it help you to see a download with one or more missing parts? This is the problem that many are observing. Yes - the cause is likely internal to the iPlayer servers BUT your downloader should be able to detect that two parts are not contiguous and re-request the missing bit.
Hello,
We've looked into this problem. And is very hard to replicate, seems it happens only in some weird connection conditions. At the moment is nothing we can do about it.
Please launch link finder in Chrome mode and use the MPD detected instead of the copy paste mode.
gandalf

Post by gandalf »

Please launch link finder in Chrome mode and use the MPD detected instead of the copy paste mode.
I have not experienced dropout issues in the limited time I have been playing using Chrome mode BUT i have had one download that just crashed completely and repeated tries failed. Fetching a fresh MPD worked - suggesting a possible explanation. From extensive experience with getiPlayer I have found that one of the many streaming suppliers used by the BBC has a problem when accessed over a VPN. Most of the suppliers simply geolocate the IP so VPNs with IP exit ports geographically in the UK work fine. However some also check the IP against known exit subnets of the bigger VPN providers. Many of the BBC providers use a CISCO service to do that - so you either need an under-the-radar VPN supplier or you do as I do and have a dedicated IP in an anonymous subnet. Even so, the supplier 'bidi' does something else (I have not yet worked out what) and all attempts to download from them fail. In getiPlayer I use an 'exclude supplier' switch to avoid 'bidi'. I notice that the failed MPD was targeted at 'bidi'. That leads me to wonder if the normal copy/paste mode streams 'parts' from multiple suppliers and perhaps it is parts fetched from bidi that are the root of the issue. If so, the solution might be to recognize that a request was to 'bidi' and, if so, to get another URL to find a different supplier.
Whilst Chrome mode works in not having dropouts (even if some calls fail completely) it is problematic with iPlayer because some functionality that needs cookies will not work with the cut-down browser emulation. It would help if cookie implementation could be added to the emulation. Is that possible?
I hope that gives you food for thought. Happy to help further if needed.
gandalf

Post by gandalf »

Might the latest issue fix some of these issues?

Just updated to 14.23.0121 - is it worth going back to trying copy/paste mode?
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

gandalf wrote: 26 Jan 2023, 05:25 Might the latest issue fix some of these issues?

Just updated to 14.23.0121 - is it worth going back to trying copy/paste mode?
There are some tweaks, you can try it out.