is there a problem?

General Discussion about ChrisPC VideoTube Downloader Pro
Download videos from 30.000+ websites with Link Finder
ferret
Advanced Member
https://ask.fm/kuchniewarszawa

is there a problem?

Post by ferret »

a question, whenever there is a new update, can those of us who have a lifetime license have a separate link from which to install the update? as it seems in order to do it we can only download the "trial" version. Which then expires after 14 days and we have to register again (which we shouldn't really have to do). ive had to go through the re-registration process THREE times today and to be honest its becoming a pain in the backside...

surely its easier for us who have the lifetime license (which i fully recommend having) to just update it as and when we need to without having to go through the same rigmarole 2 weeks later and then hope it holds out until whenever the next update is? i have no issue with being asked to give the license number at the point of updating in order to be compliant - given the tech available with these fine programmes im sure that there's a built in code which would stop those on the free version trying to get a sneaky upgrade to the version with all the features...
queengeekrose

Re: is there a problem?

Post by queengeekrose »

I'm having the same problem too.
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

This issue could be related to some Windows update or Antivirus.

Which Windows version (if Windows 10 which build) and Antivirus you have.
Neil_B

Post by Neil_B »

same here.. multiple events over two months
Windows 10 Pro 20H2, build 19042.685
Have had to enter my registration code at least 4 or5 times in the last 2 months
Windows Defender

before recent events (see below) I had been able to go years without touching the registration box.

P.S. Downloader Pro crashed twice this week (once with the last version and once on the new, and one time last week on the older version. No obvious program activity was occurring--though the program was running maximized on another screen while I watched videos on YouTube. On all three occurrences, I immediately tried program restarts and on all occasions was presented the revalidation popup.. With each registration my lifetime credentials were accepted and unfetterred program activity resumed.. Any suggestions? Would restarting the computer or an uninstall-reinstall cycle possibly help?
ferret
Advanced Member

Post by ferret »

somethong has to be done about this quite frankly. ive been downloading stuff after a week away. ive had to register twice in the last hour!!!

as it accepts that i have a lifetime license - shouldnt there be something in place where you dont have to do this ad nauseum? it was never like this when i had the old version when you had to pay annually...

the program is great, easy to use - yet this is becoming a pain in the ar*e with the frequency of it happening
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

We are investigating this issue, but we can't reproduce it as it is very random.

Please provide additional information:
1. does the software crash. before you have the registration issue?
2. from what site you make the download before encountering the issue?
3. which Windows 10 version you have running: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chec ... s-10-build
Neil_B

Post by Neil_B »

Crashed three times in last three days; twice tonight.
After each crash I am asked my lifetime credentials that my trial period has expired. am thanked after entry each time
No updates to Windows this week. Windows 10 Pro 20H2, build 19042.685
Crashes occurred after, not during, YouTube downloads while YouTube would appear to just be idling.
Would it do any good to remove the program and reinstall?
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

Neil_B wrote:Crashed three times in last three days; twice tonight.
After each crash I am asked my lifetime credentials that my trial period has expired. am thanked after entry each time
No updates to Windows this week. Windows 10 Pro 20H2, build 19042.685
Crashes occurred after, not during, YouTube downloads while YouTube would appear to just be idling.
Please provide some YouTube link samples you downloaded before the crash, from the download history.
Would it do any good to remove the program and reinstall?
Trying to pinpoint the cause. So lets try this instead:
Make sure VideoTube Downloader is closed and remove the history download database, but make a backup before deleting it:

Code: Select all

C:\Program Files (x86)\ChrisPC VideoTube Downloader Pro\ChrisPCTubeData.dat
Neil_B

Post by Neil_B »

Three crashes January 1st--none since. [HOPE]
Renamed the History .dat file the 1st when asked.. all has been calm since.. got my request from Chris the 1st before the request to another user for the additional delete. Decided to stick with the one until I see, or do not see, our friendly little dialogue. As of the morning of the 9th, no crashes and no registration boxes.
Neil
Neil_B

Post by Neil_B »

Knock on wood..
Your deletion of the 'dat' file seems to have done the trick. No crashes since the first of January and no registration windows have shown in the headlights.
Thanks Chris. Excellent detective work.