Problem with long recordings of live streams

General Discussion about ChrisPC VideoTube Downloader Pro
Download videos from 30.000+ websites with Link Finder
Danv
Advanced Member
https://ask.fm/kuchniewarszawa

Problem with long recordings of live streams

Post by Danv »

Hi Chris + team! I hope all is well. I found a small problem: When I record a very long/big stream, only the beginning and the end are saved. Details below. Thanks in advance for looking into it.

-Videotube Downloader Pro v14.22.0420
-Windows 11 Pro
-Stream homepage: https://visdeurbel.nl (1920x1080)
-Stream URL: https://roundrobin2.videostreamingwowza ... ylist.m3u8

Today at 11:46, I began recording the above stream (using Link Finder Expert) and I let it run until 17:34. When it ended, I expected to find a huge video file of several gigabytes large, but it was only 42MB. When I opened it, it contained footage from 11:46-11:47 followed directly by footage from 17:32-17:33. The hours in between had not been saved.

I think something went wrong when the file was assembled (ending the recording and waiting for the file to be playable took only a few seconds), or maybe the recorded parts have overwritten themselves? Hopefully you will be able to reproduce it. I think the best solution would be if VideoTube Downloader would record multiple files if they become too large.

(p.s. Earlier, I had made a 1-hour recording and that worked perfectly. The resulting .mp4 file was 1 GB large)
Danv
Advanced Member

Re: Problem with long recordings of live streams

Post by Danv »

Also: Sometimes, when I stop the recording, the task gets stuck when it says 'Preparing MP4 file', and no video file is made. This happens with approximately 1 out of 5 stream recordings. Mostly with long ones, it seems (an hour e.g.).
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

Do you refer to same stream on all your tests?

Please check that your antivirus/firewall is not blocking the software from accessing the download folder. And that you have enough disk space, at least twice as the final MP4.

Please check if you have same issue with latest version and try this stream:

Code: Select all

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Auq9mYxFEE
Danv
Advanced Member

Post by Danv »

Hi Chris, thanks for your reply! I will respond in e-mail because I have investigated it a bit more and I want to submit some files and screenshots to you.
Danv
Advanced Member

Post by Danv »

Hi Chris+Team, did you get my message last week? (June 22nd, "problem with long recordings of live streams").

I think the problem is that Videotube Downloader in some cases (maybe 20% of the times) does not turn the stream into .TS files, but into .M3U8 files instead, from which no .MP4 video can be made. I hope this can be fixed.
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

Hi, we'll check and fix it.
Danv
Advanced Member

Post by Danv »

Thanks!

New suggestion: Offer a program setting (option) that will keep the computer awake when a stream recording or (delayed) download is active.
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

Try latest version 14.22.0705, it should work.
Danv
Advanced Member

Post by Danv »

Chris wrote: 05 Jul 2022, 10:48 Try latest version 14.22.0705, it should work.
Thanks Chris! Unfortunately this particular stream is no longer functional (it will return next year) so I can't try it yet. I'll have to let you know next year!

It would be great if there was an option in VT Downloader to keep the PC from going into sleep mode (this has killed some recordings for me. I now use a small utility named Insomnia that solves this problem, but I have to remember to activate it manually).

It would also be great if VT Downloader had an option to save stream recordings in chunks of one hour, or 2 GB (or other useful sizes). I noticed that in practice, the program would only record for somewhere between 1 and 3.5 hours (well, the final .mp4 files were never longer than that. This was on Win 11 with an NTFS-formatted SSD with 300GB free). Hopefully it would be able to run 24/7 if it saved the files in manageable chunks.

Another very useful function would be if you could tell VT Downloader to keep recording the stream for a certain duration, for instance 3 hours if the event that you are recording will last that long.