Individual folders, time remaining and download speed

General Discussion about ChrisPC VideoTube Downloader Pro
Download videos from 30.000+ websites with Link Finder
Aankhen
https://ask.fm/kuchniewarszawa

Individual folders, time remaining and download speed

Post by Aankhen »

I’ve been using VideoTube Downloader for a while now. Thank you for an extremely useful application! It’s the most reliable of all the ones I’ve tried. I had a few ideas for features:
  • Individual folders. It would be handy to be able to specify the location on a per‐video basis. The current ‘Download Folder’ could be used as the default.
  • Time remaining. I’m not too good at estimating how long a video will take to download, so it would be nice to have it shown near the progress bar.
  • Download speed. Maybe just a global XX KB/s in the title bar. That way I know how much of my bandwidth is being used.
By the way, I’ve seen a couple of times that when a connection error occurs, the application thinks the download was successful but the video is (obviously) truncated. Would it be possible to add some sort of post‐download verification along the lines of downloaded size = expected size? Maybe it could offer the user the opportunity to re‐download the video, so they could check the file and move on if it’s alright or easily try again if not.
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Re: Individual folders, time remaining and download speed

Post by Chris »

Thank you for your message. We will consider your suggestions for future versions.

Please make sure you use latest version of the software, the videos that are not fully downloaded have .part extension added to their name.
Aankhen

Post by Aankhen »

Chris wrote:Thank you for your message. We will consider your suggestions for future versions.
Great! I see that the queue system is already in place, so thank you for that. :) A few more things I thought of:
  • It would be great if rather than removing unusable characters (such as ‘|’ or ‘\’) to create file names, the application offered to replace them with another character such as ‘_’.
  • YouTube links are not recognized if they contain parameters other than the video ID (for example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... tmV7-f_j7Y). Since embedded videos in particular add the ‘feature’ parameter to their URIs, it would be convenient if the application recognized those as well.
  • Being able to resize the program horizontally would be very useful.
  • A pause button would be helpful, if it is possible to implement.
Again, thank you for an extremely useful application, particularly with the addon package.
Please make sure you use latest version of the software, the videos that are not fully downloaded have .part extension added to their name.
I’ve been seeing this on 5.50. The program thinks that the truncated videos have been completely downloaded, so it removes the ‘.part’ and marks them as ready to play.
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

It would b great if rather than removing unusable characters (such as ‘|’ or ‘\’) to create file names, the application offered to replace them with another character such as ‘_’.
Yes, at the moment these chars are removed completely, we can add an option to choose the replacement char.
YouTube links are not recognized if they contain parameters other than the video ID (for example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... tmV7-f_j7Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Since embedded videos in particular add the ‘feature’ parameter to their URIs, it would be convenient if the application recognized those as well.
This link works correctly also m.youtube.com, youtu.be links starting with version 5.50.
Being able to resize the program horizontally would be very useful.
Do you need it to be smaller or bigger ?
A pause button would be helpful, if it is possible to implement.
We will consider this.
Aankhen

Post by Aankhen »

Chris wrote:
YouTube links are not recognized if they contain parameters other than the video ID (for example, https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... tmV7-f_j7Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). Since embedded videos in particular add the ‘feature’ parameter to their URIs, it would be convenient if the application recognized those as well.
This link works correctly also m.youtube.com, youtu.be links starting with version 5.50.
Ah, you’re right. I was trying it on 5.50 earlier too. I must have been doing something wrong.
Do you need it to be smaller or bigger ?
Bigger, to see more of the details.
Chris
ChrisPC Support Team

Post by Chris »

These have been added to version 5.70:
Individual folders. It would be handy to be able to specify the location on a per‐video basis. The current ‘Download Folder’ could be used as the default.
Just click on the "..." button available in the right side of the video delete button.
It would be great if rather than removing unusable characters (such as ‘|’ or ‘\’) to create file names, the application offered to replace them with another character such as ‘_’.
The chars ‘|’ or ‘\’ are now replaced by '_'.
Aankhen

Post by Aankhen »

That’s great news, thanks!
Lacey

Post by Lacey »

I'd like to add to the download speed suggestion:

Could there be a feature to allow manual control over the download speed (other than by the number of simultaneous downloads)?

This would be useful to prevent the program from hogging my bandwidth when I need some of it available and uninterrupted for other things.
Aankhen

Post by Aankhen »

I had a few more feature requests:
  • Resuming videos in general: once the user clicks on the download button next to a video, if a video already exists at that path, the program should prompt the user to overwrite, resume (only if the existing video is smaller than the video being downloaded), rename (the video being downloaded) or skip. It would be handy if the details (format, size, duration) of the existing video and the video being downloaded were shown side by side.
  • Copy URL: a simple menu item to copy the link to the video.
  • Pause: pause downloads in the queue and resume them within the same session.
  • Duplicate detection: don’t add the same video to the queue more than once.